English K–10 Syllabus Vol 2: Years 7–10
This print version of the current English K–10 Syllabus identifies the knowledge, understanding, skills, values and attitudes that NSW secondary school students are expected to develop. English is a mandatory subject from Kindergarten to Year 12 in the NSW curriculum.
The syllabus is designed to provide flexibility for teachers to develop their teaching and learning programs to meet the needs of their students.
The syllabus focuses on helping students develop a love of literature and learning. It develops skills to help students experiment with ideas and expression and to become active and independent lifelong learners.
Through responding to and composing a wide range of texts and through the close study of texts, students will develop knowledge, understanding and skills in order to:
- communicate through speaking, listening, reading, writing, viewing and representing
- use language to shape and make meaning according to purpose, audience and context
- think in ways that are imaginative, creative, interpretive and critical
- express themselves and their relationships with others and their world
- learn and reflect on their learning through their study of English.
- Years: Years 7 and 8 (Stage 4), Years 9 and 10 (Stage 5)
- Format: Printed
- Weight: 515 grams