Our Island Home – Stage 2, Book 1: English Teaching Resource K–6
PRICE BREAKS - The more you buy, the more you save
This official NSW English teaching resource offers a series of Stage 2 teaching and learning experiences around the theme of Australia, which are mapped to the NSW English K–10 Syllabus.
Teachers can modify activities to match students' abilities and needs, the class unit of study, and your school's available literature. The lessons do not have to be taught as a unit of work or in any particular order.
Includes the following areas:
- Significant places in Australia – covers picture book study, visual literacy, evaluative language, purpose and audience, composing and exploring texts.
- Touring the – covers research inquiry, language features – multimodal texts, joint and collaborative construction, collaborative and independent writing, publishing texts using digital technologies.
- Australian poetry – covers poetry appreciation, deconstructing, poetic techniques, poetry forms, composing poems and figurative language.
- Australian tourism and advertising – covers persuasive texts, evaluative language, connectives, purpose and audience comprehension and reflecting.
- Language through games – covers brainstorming, punctuation, questions and statements, devising a board game, cooperative learning, and using graphic tools to enhance visual presentations.
This book can help with:
- understanding natural, heritage and built features of Australia
- skills related to reading, viewing and composing informative, persuasive and imaginative texts
- understanding different points of view and perspectives
- reading, viewing and composing visual and multimodal texts
- understanding the use of evaluative and figurative language
- skills in the analysis of persuasive devices used in advertising
- understanding text structures, themes, audience and purpose
- cooperative learning strategies and research skills
- connections between personal experiences and those of characters and events in text
- an appreciation and enjoyment of literature.