The Best of WriteOn 2021 is an anthology of award-winning entries by primary school students from the annual WriteOn competition.
The diverse writing showcased in this publication exemplifies the power, value and craft of storytelling. Using the image shown on the front cover as inspiration, students from
Years 1–6 created a variety of imaginative responses through narratives, letters, diary entries and poems. A range of contemporary topics including drought, climate change and refugees are represented as are highly creative texts about dedicated stargazers and an alien invasion.
Despite the continuing pandemic in 2021, a recurring theme throughout much of the students’ writing is hope; a hope that inspires optimism and confidence in the future.
This anthology is truly a joyful celebration of young people’s creativity and self-expression.
Teachers can use this anthology to:
- inspire and nurture students’ love of writing
- demonstrate high-quality writing
- encourage and develop imaginative writing skills
- help students understand how context may be expressed in texts
- assist students to explore ways of conveying experiences and ideas.
Families can use it to:
- read and enjoy quality student writing
- explore different ways imaginative texts can be composed.