The Best of WriteOn 2023 is an anthology of award-winning entries by primary school students from the annual WriteOn competition.
Using the image shown on the front cover as inspiration, students from Years 1to 6 have created a variety of imaginative responses in the form of narratives and poems, as well as a diary entry, a letter and even reports.
They describe experiences and emotions from multiple perspectives about topics that hold meaning for them: celebrating human triumphs, tribulations and adventures; finding courage to overcome fears; choosing kindness, friendship and teamwork; and the importance of home and personal growth.
A frequent theme throughout much of the students’ writing in 2023 is showing courage in the face of adversity, because, in the words of a winning entry, ‘sometimes it’s our troubles that bring us to the treasure’.
This anthology is a joyful celebration of young people’s creativity and self-expression.
Teachers can use it to:
- inspire and nurture students’ love of writing
- demonstrate high-quality writing
- encourage and develop imaginative writing skills
- help students understand how context may be expressed in texts
- assist students to explore ways of conveying experiences and ideas.
Families can use it to:
- read and enjoy quality student writing
- explore different ways in which imaginative texts can be created.